Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Books!

So, I have actually *gasp* started writing again on my current wip (work in progress)! It's a heady feeling. What I'm feeling overwhelmed with is the plotting. The writing I can always fix later, once I get the basic language down. But plotting....I hate to have to rewrite huge swaths of the ms because I didn't take the time to really sit down and plan the book.

Toward that end, I picked up (again) Story, by Robert McKee, which my crit partner claims is the quintessential book on plotting. I'd picked it up before, made it about 30 pgs in and drifted off. I hadn't really been into writing again at that point. This time I picked it up, and ignoring all his bemoaning the state of plotting these days, everything really resonated. I'm about a chapter in, but wow. I found myself nodding with it. It really inspired me to get serious about craft again. Not just writing, but studying writing again.

Toward that end I'm making a reading list.

Craft books on it so far are:

-Story by Robert McKee
-Beginnings, Middles and Ends by Nancy Kress (at least the section on middles for now)

Writing books are a separate list:

-Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing by Mignon Fogarty
-Getting the Words Right by Theodore A. Rees Cheney
-Write Tight by William Brohaugh

I am currently reading Story and Grammar Girl's tips. We'll see what others get added down the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment