Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Sneak Peek at Cloak of War's Acknowledgements!

Today’s sneak peak for Cloak of War is a look at the Acknowledgements for my book. Not quite as exciting as the dedication, but still crucial. I love having the opportunity to thank people who helped me, but also, I can include a nugget of information helpful to other authors looking to be published!



Here is the acknowledgement section:

Every book of mine starts with a huge “thank you!” to my critique partners, Jen Brooks and Diana Botsford. These two wonderful writers and friends improve my writing with their insightful critiques. In addition, they keep me accountable for meeting my goals. I couldn’t do this without them! I’m also lucky to have a supportive network of writers in my SHU family – the alumni and faculty of Seton Hill University’s graduate program in Writing Popular Fiction.

Thanks must go to the wonderful people at Titan Books who have been so supportive of the Empress Game trilogy – you make me feel like a rock star. A special thanks to my editor, Natalie Laverick, who took the reins on book two and helped me sharpen everything. Thanks to my agent, Richard Curtis, for all he does behind the scenes to keep things moving, and for all he does to keep me sane.

Most importantly, thank you to my family and my husband. I wouldn’t be who I am today if not for all of you. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

Now, you might be wondering why I mention my agent and editor by name in the acknowledgement section, when I could just say “agent” and “editor.” I use their names because of a piece of writing advice I see given to new authors all of the time. The advice is, “Check out other authors who write what you write, look at their agent and editor, and submit your manuscript to those people. They are the most likely to accept your manuscript because they clearly enjoy your particular subgenre and style. I’ve always been told, “Look at the acknowledgements to find out who their agent is,” but so few people include that info!


So, for all you newbies out there, I am including Richard’s and Natalie’s names. I hope this helps you in your pursuit of publication! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment